Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What do I do?

What do you do when one of your A students finishes all of his work and then takes a nap in your class? This boggles me because I feel that if he has mastered the objective for the day, why bother him? Am I not being a good teacher and using every instructional minute to his advantage? I think that students should have a break evey once in a while. This student is in my Lodging Management class and we call free days "Mental Preparation" days. He calls them "Mental Institution" days. We don't get them very often, but when we do, the students love them.

2 comments:

Sally said...

I make the kids bring books to class so they can read in case they finsih their work ahead of the bell. I don't allow them to sleep. They can read or do a ridiciously stupid worksheet. They usually choose to read. We have to "encourage reading" at my school, so the way I do that outside of what I teach (even though it's English) is demand that they bring a library book to class every day or suffer through a stupid worksheet.

Sally said...

Let me ammend that to say that personally, I don't care if they sleep. But I know that if my boss came by and saw that a kid was sleeping, even if he was finished, my butt would be toast. My boss wouldn't care if the kid was Bill Gates. So, to save my hide, they read or do busy-work.